The project is to development the field, adjacent to Harlow Moor Road, Pinewoods and the Harrogate Spring Water site, known locally as Irongate. The area was unused and under utilised in a populated area.
The project is to transform the area into an attraction for wildlife and local residents alike. This will include new planting and seating for picnics. It is also expected that other community groups and schools will be able to use the area as an educational space.
The field will see a number of enhancements as listed below. The funding will part fund the items listed.
- Picnic tables:Installation of 3 picnic tables. These will include access for wheelchair users.
- Wildflower Meadow: Sowing of a native wildflower meadow.
- Marsh Planting: Creation of a marsh area with moisture loving plants to take account of the unique water content of the area.
- Mature Trees:Planting a number of mature trees.
- Matting: Installation of plastic matting to allow for wheel chair and buggy access
- Information Board: The board will give information on the group, the site and what can be seen on the development.
The group plans to work with other local groups on this including Harlow Moor Residents Association, Horticap, Harrogate District Bio Diversity Group and RHS Harlow Carr. Work will also be undertaken to involve local residents in the initiative.
The project was started in the winter of 2014 and officially opened July 2014 in an event sponsored by Harrogate Spring Water. Additional planting will be carried our during 2015.
The following suppliers have been involved:
- RHS Harlow Carr
- HACS Group
- Sign Express
- FLARE Maintenance